Lunar new year or Chinese New Year also known as the Spring Festival is the most important holiday in the Chinese calendar. And it is a time for friends and family to come together and exchange gifts and good wishes. It is believed that the celebrations bring good luck, health, and prosperity for the coming year.
If you’re looking for ways to get into the spirit of the Chinese New Year, why not test your knowledge with some Chinese New Year trivia?
Chinese New Year is steeped in traditions and customs, and there are lots of interesting facts to learn about this ancient festival. From the symbolic decorations to the food, the games to the stories, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the most interesting facts about Chinese New Year. From the origins of the festival to the traditions, the myths and legends, and the most popular activities.
Here you’ll find some of the best Chinese New Year trivia questions answers or Lunar new year trivia to get you in the spirit of the celebrations. So get ready to learn something new and get the party started this Chinese New Year!
50 Chinese new year trivia
The following is a list of Chinese new year trivia:
1. What are other names for Chinese new year?
Answer: Spring festival and lunar new year.
2. What year does the Chinese new year cycle start?
Answer: The Chinese new year cycle starts with the year of the rat.
3. What are the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac?
Answer: The 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac are the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig.
4. How long does the Chinese New Year festival last?
Answer: 15 days.
5. What is the primary food eaten during Chinese New Year?
6. What is the traditional gift for Chinese New Year?
Answer: Red envelopes filled with money.
7. What are the traditional decorations for Chinese New Year?
Answer: Red lanterns, paper cuts and couplets.
8. What is the traditional greeting for Chinese New Year?
Answer: Gong xi fa cai (Wishing you prosperity).
9. What color is traditionally worn during the Chinese New Year?
10. What colors can you not wear on Chinese New Year?
Answer: Black and White
Best Chinese new year trivia questions and answers
Here are some of the Best chinese new year trivia questions and answers:
11. What is the exact date for Chinese new year?
Answer: Chinese New Year ranges from January 21 to February 20. The exact date of Chinese New Year changes every year and is based on the Chinese lunar calendar.
12. What are the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac?
Answer: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig.
13. What is the most important meal of the Chinese New Year?
Answer: Reunion dinner.
14. What is the name of the legendary monster that Chinese New Year is celebrated to ward off?
15. What type of food is traditionally served on Chinese New Year?
Answer: Fish, dumplings, spring rolls, noodles and other traditional Chinese dishes.
16. What is the traditional dance performed during Chinese New Year?
Answer: The dragon dance.
17.. What is the traditional plant used in Chinese New Year decorations?
18. What is the unusual custom of “setting off firecrackers” for Chinese New Year?
Answer: Setting off firecrackers during Chinese New Year is believed to scare away evil spirits.
19. What do Chinese people avoid doing on Chinese New Year?
Answer: Showering, Sweeping, washing clothes and cutting hair.
20. When do Chinese New Year celebrations end?
Answer: The 15th day of the lunar month, which is known as the Lantern Festival.
Chinese new year trivia questions
The following are some Chinese new year trivia questions to answer:
1. When did the Chinese New Year begin?
2. What is the traditional meaning behind the red envelopes given during the Chinese New Year?
3. What tradition is used during the Chinese New Year to protect people from bad luck?
4. What is the traditional meaning behind the dragon and lion dances performed during the Chinese New Year?
5. What is the traditional gift for children during the Chinese New Year?
6. What is the traditional game played during the Chinese New Year?
7. What is the origin of the Chinese zodiac system?
8. What was the origin of the Chinese New Year parade?
9. What is the story behind the Nian monster?
10. What is the origin of the Chinese New Year dragon?
1. The Chinese New Year began over 4,000 years ago during the Shang Dynasty.
2. The red envelopes, also known as “hongbao”, are given as a symbol of luck and wealth.
3. Firecrackers are used to scare away the Nian monster and protect people from bad luck.
4. The dragon and lion dances are used to bring good luck and prosperity to the community.
5. The traditional gift for children during the Chinese New Year is money in red envelopes.
6. Mahjong is a traditional game played during the Chinese New Year.
7. The Chinese zodiac system was created to represent each year with an animal and element.
8. The Chinese New Year parade originated with the belief that loud noises and bright colors would scare away the Nian monster.
9. The Nian monster is an ancient Chinese legend about a mythical creature that terrorized villages during the New Year.
10. The origin of the Chinese New Year dragon is believed to be a combination of different mythological creatures from different cultures.
Lunar new year trivia
The following is a list of Lunar new year trivia questions and answers:
1. How many countries celebrate the lunar new year?
Answer: The lunar new year is celebrated in many countries and regions, including China, Vietnam, Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
2. What are some traditional activities done during the lunar new year?
Answer: Traditional activities done during lunar new year include visiting family, exchanging gifts, and participating in festivals.
3. Is there a specific order for performing lunar new year rituals?
Answer: There is no specific order for performing lunar new year rituals, as each family or region may have its own unique customs and traditions.
4. What are some of the unique lunar new year traditions?
Answer: Unique lunar new year traditions include the lion dance, dragon dance, and lantern festivals.
5. What are the spiritual or religious aspects of lunar new year?
Answer: Lunar new year has spiritual and religious aspects, such as honoring ancestors and praying for good fortune.
6. What are some of the superstitions associated with lunar new year?
Answer: Common superstitions associated with lunar new year include avoiding cleaning on the first day of the year, not using sharp objects, and not washing clothes.
7. What are some of the lunar new year customs associated with luck and prosperity?
Answer: Customs associated with luck and prosperity during lunar new year include wearing red clothing, hanging decorations, and setting off fireworks.
8. What is the significance of giving gifts during lunar new year?
Answer: Giving gifts during lunar new year is seen as a way to show respect and appreciation to family and friends.
9. What are the spiritual beliefs connected to the lunar new year?
Answer: Spiritual beliefs connected to lunar new year include ancestor worship, praying for good fortune, and seeking guidance from deities.
10. How does the lunar calendar differ from the Gregorian calendar?
Answer: The lunar calendar is based on the cycles of the moon, while the Gregorian calendar is based on the movements of the earth around the sun.
11. What are the cultural differences in the Lunar New Year celebrations in China, Vietnam, and Korea?
Answer: Cultural differences in lunar new year celebrations in China, Vietnam, and Korea include the type of food served, the activities performed, and the decorations used.
12. What is the significance of the zodiac animals in the Lunar New Year?
Answer: The zodiac animals in the lunar new year symbolize different traits and characteristics and are associated with the 12-year cycle.