Good conversation starters are important for any social situation.
The most enjoyable moments usually end with two or more people conversing about what they’re interested in.
When you know where to start, it becomes much easier to maintain a conversation with anyone. And finding a topic to talk about isn’t so hard after all.
You can make a new friend, or get to know someone better simply by asking them a question about themselves.
Not only will it help you to know them better, but it will also give them the opportunity to feel more interesting and appreciated. Remember to pay attention to their responses so you can ask follow-up questions.
If you want to find out how you can start a conversation with anyone, read this guide on: how to start a conversation with some good conversation starters
What are good conversation starters?
Good conversation starters or openers are icebreakers used to initiate a conversation. These are often said in passing, at the beginning of a conversation, but can also be used to initiate a specific discussion or activity.
So, what are some good conversation starter questions?
Good conversation starters
Here are some good opening conversation starters
1. Do you know what time it is? This opener works well with men and women alike. I have actually used it several times since it is an easy way to get someone to talk to me if they happen to be wearing a watch or have a phone out.
In fact, I often ask right after telling someone the time (even if they didn’t ask). That way the transition feels smoother because there was already an interaction between us that involved talking.
2. How did you get into _____? Everyone has a story, and most people love to tell it (especially if they have an interesting or unusual job).
The best way to find out what that story is, is to ask directly and then listen intently as they walk you through it.
3. What do you think of this event/place? If you are somewhere interesting, ask them what they think of it and why they came to check it out, or what they think of the event so far (if it’s early enough in the event).
4. Do you know any good restaurants around here? This can work as a context cue if you are in a restaurant or bar.
But also works well as a conversation opener if you are traveling somewhere new and want to find someplace to eat with locals (or locals who know the area well).
5. Why did you choose this place/event? It’s always interesting to find out why people chose something and get to know more insights about the place and the person’s taste as well.
If you both have a common interest that would help you build connections and friendships.
6. Did you hear about ____? This one is pretty easy and straightforward, but it still often works well for me because I always hear about some new thing going on in the world every day and I like to share that knowledge with others as an icebreaker.
7. What do you think of ____? This one also makes use of context cues, except it’s not so much what people are holding or doing as it is what they are looking at or listening to when you approach them
8. Where did you get that ______? I’ve been looking for one for months.
This is perfect for shoes, jewelry, or anything else with a story behind it that will encourage them to share details about themselves and why they purchased it in the first place.
9. What do you do for fun in your spare time? Asking about people’s hobbies will help you come up with lots of ideas for date ideas later on.
10. Tell me about your tattoo/facial piercing/nose ring/etc.? People love talking about things that are meaningful to them and tattoos are often a great way to start a conversation.
Because they give people the opportunity to explain their tattoos and where they got each one done and why they chose to get them on specific parts of their body etc.
11. Isn’t it really fun? A really easy-to-initiate conversation opener is to look for someone who is by themselves but looks like they are having an okay time.
It’s easy to sit next to someone at a table, or stand next to someone at the bar and simply ask, “Having a good time?” or “Enjoying yourself?” It’s a nicer opener than just “How are you?”
12. I know you! You might have seen someone around before and not had the courage to approach them. They might have seen you too! So, if you see them again somewhere else, just go up and say something like
“You look familiar, do we know each other? Where have I seen you before?” It could be that they work down the street from where you live; maybe they are friends with your brother; maybe they had the locker next to yours when you were in high school – it
13. How do you know [name of person you have in common]? If you already have something in common, talking about that can be the perfect conversation starter.
14. What brings you here? This is particularly useful if you are out and about and spot someone who doesn’t seem to be from your local area (e.g., an airport, conference).
15. Good to see you again! If there are people at the event that you already know, it can be good practice for social situations later on if you introduce yourself to them.
16. Where did you get (blank)? If you see someone wearing something interesting, this is a great way to strike up a conversation with them. For example, if they are wearing unique shoes, some cool jewelry, or even a fun t-shirt – simply ask them where they got it!
17. Hey! How are you? This works well because most people say “I’m fine, thanks” (or some variation thereof), which opens up the door for you to ask another question without it feeling too awkward or intrusive.
18. Who do you know here? This is one of my favorites because it opens the door for a conversation with someone even if they don’t know anyone at the event or party that they’re attending. You could follow up with “Do you know anybody here?
19. How’s that drink?
20. Who do you know here?
Good conversation starters questions to keep going
Here are some good conversation starters questions:
1. Tell me about yourself?
2. How do you know our mutual friend?
3. Where are you from?
4. What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
5. What is your favourite food/restaurant/recipe?
6. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
7. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
8. If someone made a movie of your life would it be a drama, a comedy, a romantic-comedy, action film, or science fiction?
9. If you could invite anyone in the world to dinner, who would it be?
10. What’s one thing on your bucket list?
11. What’s one thing people would never guess about you just by looking at you?
12. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be? (Mine would probably be pizza)
13. Do you have any pets? If so what kind and how did they get their name(s)?
14. Have any TV shows or movies impacted your life and if so how have they influenced you as a person or helped shape who you are today.
15. What kind of things are you passionate about or interested in?
16. What’s the best book that you’ve read recently?
17. What’s your favorite TV show? Why do you like it?
18. How did your day go today? What happened during your day today? What did you do today that was fun or enjoyable? What was the funniest thing that happened today? Tell me about something funny that happened today or this week
19. When was the last time you went on vacation? Where did you go for your last vacation? If you could go anywhere for vacation where would you go and why?
Good conversation starters for texting a guy, girl, boyfriend, crush, girlfriend or someone you know.
Here are some good conversation starters over text
1. What was your childhood like?
2. What do you like to do with your free time?
3. How do you relax?
4. What is one of the most enjoyable things you’ve done in your life so far? Why?
5. What are some things you’d like to change about yourself? What are some things you’d never change?
6. Do you have any pets? Tell me about them!
7. Do you have a favorite place that you like to go on vacation? What is it like there?
8. What is one of the funniest memories that you have from your childhood? What makes it so funny?
9. What is one of your favorite memories with a friend or family member?
10. If given the chance, what would be the first thing that you would change in this world and why?
11. Who has been an important role model for you in your life and why were they so influential in your life?
Good conversation starters for guys
Here are some very good conversation starters that can help break the ice and make people feel comfortable:
1. Tell me a bit about yourself.
2. What three words would you use to describe yourself?
3. What do you like to do in your free time?
4. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
5. What is the best book you have ever read?
6. Do you have any siblings? If so, what are their names? Is there anything interesting about them?
7. If you could have dinner with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
8. Would you rather go out to dinner or cook dinner at home? Why?
9. What food can’t you live without?
10. Do you have any pets? If so, what are their names and tell me a bit about them!
11. What is something that most people don’t know about you but should?
12. What is one thing that excites you every time you think about it?
13. Where were you born and raised, and who raised you there?
14. Which of your experiences up to this point has had the biggest impact on your life and why was that important
Good conversation starters online dating
Here is a list of good conversation starters for online dating
1. What kind of films do you like?
2. Are you from round here?
3. Where do you live?
4. What was the worst part of your day?
5. What do you love about your job?
6. Do you have any hobbies? What do you like to do in your spare time?
7. Do you have any pets? What are their names? How did you come up with their names?
8. Do you have any children? Or pets? How many?
9. Where did you grow up, and where do you live now? Do you like it here, or would you rather live somewhere else, and why? (Follow-up on this topic: are there any places that they would like to visit?)
10. What did your parents do while they were working (if they’re retired now)? Did they enjoy their jobs, or did they find it boring/monotonous/stressful? Would they have preferred to work in another field if circumstances had been different when
Good conversation starters for teens
Here is a good conversation starters for teens like college students or high school students above 13 year olds:
1. What did you do last weekend?
2. What is your favorite movie?
3. What is your favorite band or singer?
4. How was your day today?
5. Are you excited about any upcoming trips or events?
6. What is your favorite season and why?
7. Which TV series are you watching at the moment?
8. What is your favorite holiday and why?
9. Which one superpower would you like to have and why?
10. Have you ever had a nickname and if so, what was it?
11. Do you have a hobby and if so, what is it that interests you about it?
12. If you could go back in time who would you like to meet from history?
13. Do you prefer cats or dogs, why?
14. If given the chance, which famous person would you like to meet and why?
15. What do you like most about yourself and why do you think this is important for other people to know about you as well
Good conversation starters to make new friends
Here is a good list of conversation starters for friends:
1. What’s the most interesting fact you learned this week?
2. How do you make your coffee?
3. What’s a piece of advice you often give but find yourself struggling to follow?
4. What’s your favorite family recipe?
5. What is one thing you are passionate about?
6. Who is the person who influenced you the most in life and why?
7. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
8. What is something that is popular now that annoys you?
9. How do people react when they first meet you?
10. What would be your perfect weekend?
11. If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be?
12. What’s one thing on your bucket list?
13. If money was no object, what would be your dream job? Why do you think that appeals to you so much?
14. Do you have any pets at home? Tell me a funny story about them!
15. Do you prefer to cook or bake and why?
Good conversation starters on a date
Here are some good conversation starters for your date:
1. How is your day going?
2. What did you do this weekend?
3. What is one thing that makes you smile?
4. Who is the one person that inspires you the most?
5. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
6. If you could have three wishes, what would they be?
7. What is your favorite place to go to relax and why?
8. What is something unusual about you that most people don’t know about you?
9. If you were granted three wishes, what would you wish for and why?
10. If I came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for me?
11. What is your favorite quote and why does it speak to you?
12. Do you prefer talking on the phone or video chatting online? Why or why not?
13. Are there any causes that are close to your heart that you support or volunteer for? Why are they important to you?
14. What are your hidden talents or skills that most people don’t know about until they get to know you better?
15. Share a time when someone made a difference in your life?
Good conversation starters for dating apps like tinder, snapchat, bumble, instagram
These are some killer good conversation starters for dating apps like tinder, Snapchat, bumble, Instagram and others:
1. What was the best part of your day?
2. If you could only have three apps on your smartphone, which would you choose?
3. What’s one thing you wish more people knew about you?
4. What are the most important things to keep in mind when raising a kid?
5. Do you see any movies or read any books more than once? Why?
6. What do you wish your brain was better at doing?
7. What’s the most epic way you’ve seen someone quit or be fired?
8. If all jobs had the same pay and hours, what job would you like to have?
9. Who inspires you to be better?
10. What is your favorite mistake? Why is it your favorite?
Good conversation starters when meeting someone new
Here is a good conversation starters when meeting someone new:
1. Where are you from?
To find out where they are from and to make a connection about that place if you know someone who lives there or if it is a place that you have visited.
2. What college did you graduate from?
Find out what college they went to and talk about the school.
3. How do you like living in this city?
To find out how they like living in that area and to connect with them on what they like about it.
4. What kind of work do you do? If they say that they are looking for work then follow up with this next question: Are there any companies that you want to work for?
To find out what they do, who they work for, and what their plans are for the future. This can be used as a follow up too
5. How many brothers/sisters do you have? Do you have any favorite relatives? If so, who are they and why are they your favorites?
To find out if they have siblings. If so, then ask what their favorite relative is and why (to get closer).
6. How’s that drink / appetizer / artwork / game
7. Did you see that viral ____ YouTube video? It was all over my social media today.
8. There is a book called “The Four Hour Work Week” that I love. Have you read it?
9. I just heard about this new restaurant in [location]. What do you think about checking it out sometime? Do you like Italian food?
10. Hey, have you seen any good movies lately? There is this one movie … (insert movie title here) … that I really want to see, but I haven’t had the time. Do you like that kind of movie?
11. What do you think about this weather? Do you hate it as much as I do?
12. If someone has a unique or interesting item on them, ask about it. This might be a hat, a pen, or a piece of clothing. For example: “I love your hat! Is it new? Where did you get it? Who gave it to you?”
Good conversation starters at night
Here are some conversation starters for late night
1. What’s something you’re really good at doing?
2. What does your dream house look like?
3. What do you think about marriage?
4. Who was your favorite teacher in elementary school and why?
5. Which is better: asking for permission or asking for forgiveness?
6. Do you have any siblings? If so, what are their names and ages?
7. If you had to go back in time, what’s one piece of advice you’d give your younger self?
8. Who’s someone in your life who always makes you laugh?
9. What’s something that people would be surprised to know about you?
10. How old were you when you had your first kiss?
11. Do you prefer hot weather or cold weather? Why?
12. Which celebrity would play you in the movie of your life and why?
13. If all careers had the same pay and hours, what job would you like to have? Why would it be your dream job?
14. Would you rather be twice as smart or twice
Good conversation starters for networking
Here is a list of good conversation starters for networking and building relationships:
1. Hi, I’m ……How are you doing?
2. What kind of work do you do?
3. Where did you grow up?
4. Do you have any pets? How many?
5. What’s your favorite movie?
6. What’s your favorite TV show right now?
7. Do you like to cook? What’s your specialty dish?
8. Do you have any siblings? Where do you fall in the birth order?
9. Are you a morning person or night owl?
10. Are you an introvert or extrovert?
11. What are your hobbies when you’re not working?
12. If money was no object, where would you live in the world and why?
13. What is the best vacation that you’ve ever been on and why?
Good conversation starters on the phone
The following are some great and good conversation starters on the phone to ask and get to know them deeper.
1. What is your favorite holiday and why?
2. Where do you go to relax when you are stressed?
3. What kind of music are you into?
4. Is there a movie that makes you cry no matter how many times you watch it?
5. Do you have any nicknames? If so, how did they come about?
6. Do you have any awesome memories from your childhood that are always stuck in your mind?
7. Describe the best vacation experience you’ve ever had.*
8. What’s the best gift anyone has given to you?*
9. If someone was going to make a movie about your life, who would play you in the lead role?*
10. If money wasn’t an issue, what would be the first thing that you would buy for yourself?*
11. Are there any charities or organizations that hold a special place in your heart and why?*
12. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?*
13. How do most of your friends see you as being different from other people they know?*
14. What is one thing that’s on your bucket list that most people
Good conversation starters when meeting someone new online
Here is a Good conversation starters when meeting someone new online or your online date
1. If we were having a drink/dinner right now, what would you order?
2. What do you think is the hardest thing about relationships?
3. Do you have a favorite line from a movie?
4. What’s your favorite book that you read in school?
5. What songs are on your playlist right now?
6. Are there any songs that always make you cry no matter how many times you listen to them?
7. How many countries have you been to? Which one was your favorite and why?
8. Tell me about someone who influenced you in a positive way and how they did it?
9. What’s your favorite thing to do with your friends?
10. If I could be an animal, I would be… Why that animal?
11. If you had the opportunity to travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
12. What are some of your favorite quotes from books or movies or other people? Why are they meaningful to you?
13. Do you like pets more than children, or children more than pets, or neither more than the other, or both equally well/badly/etc.? Why do you feel this way
Good conversation starters for quick connection with anyone
Here are some best conversation starters questions:
1. They say a question can change your life. What would your question be?
2. Can you describe the best vacation you ever had?
3. If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why?
4. If you could live at any point in history, when would it be and why?
5. What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?
6. How do you spend your free time, and where do you like to go out?
7. Have you ever had an experience that changed the direction of your life?
8. Have you been to any places that exceeded your expectations?
9. Do you have any favorite quotes from famous people or books?
10. What would be your dream job if money were not a concern?
11. Who is someone that inspires you and why?
12. Do you think it’s more important to follow your heart or head when making decisions? Why?
13. Do you tend more towards introversion or extroversion, and how does this shape your life and experiences?
14. What are three things on your bucket list in the next five years?