If you are in a conversation with a group of people, whether they are friends or acquaintances that you have just met, it can be difficult to break the ice and start a conversation easily.
You might feel awkward and not know what to say. If this is the case, consider using easy icebreaker questions to help get the conversation going.
When you are in a small group setting, there are many easy ways to start a conversation, including asking questions about their background, sharing something personal about yourself, or making a statement that can get others talking.
In this guide, I have compiled a list of easy conversation starters and icebreaker questions for you to use the next time you find yourself stuck for something interesting to say.
Before that, here are simple tips to start a conversation with ease.
Easy steps to start a conversation
1. Introduce yourself: Say hello and ask them an icebreaker question such as (name, or interests) say “It’s nice to meet you” – then ask them their name so that both of you can have a nice conversation together instead of just one person talking while the other person stands there awkwardly waiting for their turn to speak!
2. Ask about their life: “What’s been going on?” or “How was your day?” are great and easy ways to get the conversation started.
3. Show interest in what they’re saying: If they’re talking about their work, let them know you’re interested in what they do; if they’re talking about their life, show empathy by saying you understand how difficult it can be sometimes.
4. Ask follow-up questions: If the conversation has gone well and you’ve already learned something new, ask another question to keep the conversation alive or move on to another topic altogether.
5. Make eye contact: Make sure that whoever is speaking knows that you are listening and engaged by making eye contact with them throughout the conversation — even when their back is turned toward you!
6. Keep waiting for a response from the other person: Sometimes, people won’t respond right away — but don’t give up! Wait for them to look at you again and then repeat one of your opening lines so that they know that you want them to continue talking with
7. Be consistent: Regularly be in touch with them and deepen your relationship by continuing with your communication and knowing when to set boundaries.
Also read: 75 Weird Conversation Starters (Weirdest topics, questions and openers)
Here is a list of easy conversation starters that always work in any situation:
Easy conversation Starters
1 I love it when people talk about_____________
2 I would like to know more about___________
3 I think we should be discussing about___________
4 A good place to start is with what we all know about_________
5 Can you share their thoughts/feelings/ideas about____________?
6 If you are free, shall we meet at __________________
7 How does this relate to_________________?
8 What do you think will happen next in this story? Why?
9 Let’s exchange some ideas for this problem/task
10 What questions do you have __________________________?
11. What was your favorite book as a child?
Books can be magical in their ability to take us into other worlds, and every reader has one that had an especially strong impact on them.
It may have been the first book they ever read or maybe it opened their eyes to new possibilities, but either way its worth asking about because there is bound to be some shared experience between you two.
12. If you could only recommend one book for me, what would it be?
Choosing which books deserve our time can be overwhelming, so this question allows each person to make their own choices without feeling pressured by another opinion.
Often people will suggest books based on what others want; this question removes any doubt about preferences by putting control over recommendations squarely in their hands.
13. What’s your least favorite type of food?
No matter how much we love food, we all have dishes that leave us cold.
The answer to this question provides insight into their tastes and gives you ideas for things to share next time you eat together!
14. What inspires you most?
Everyone has different sources of inspiration; these moments motivate them through difficult times and push them towards success.
15. How do you know when something is finished?
A project doesn’t just stop being relevant when it’s completed; often people need time before making a decision about if it should stay or go.
Learning about how they determine completion can help us understand their process better.
16. What is your favorite color?
We don’t always know what colors mean to other people, but knowing their favorites colors not only reveals information about themselves but opens up opportunities for finding unexpected similarities between two strangers.
17. What did you think of my blog post/Instagram post/Tweet?
This question helps readers remember authors and their writing while establishing a connection with the person who commented on it.
18. Have you heard of (insert topic)?
It never hurts to ask somebody who knows more than we do if they’ve heard of anything similar- even if it seems like a silly idea at first glance! 11: Who has impacted you the most in life?
Easy ways to start a conversation
1. Start with a compliment: start by saying something about the weather and ask if they’re having a good day, or compliment them on their outfit, or share something you saw on TV today that’s made you laugh out loud.
2. Ask them for a date: Ask them if they’d like to play a game of pool or darts, or suggest going out for coffee or lunch sometime soon when they’re free (but don’t pressure them).
3. Be funny: Start by saying something funny and end with a question: Say something funny/unique about yourself or joke about something that make you both laugh hard.
4. Use the words “you” and “me” often
5. Talk and ask about your (or theirs) interests, hobbies and passions (if you have any)
6. Talk and ask about what you (they) like to do in their free time (if you have any)
7. Offer them help if they are in great need.
8. Ask for their suggestions, advice, or guidance if you think they are reliable.
9. Use a personal story that relates to the conversation topic
10. Share some useful information you found on internet to get the ball rolling
11. Tell them you have something in common or shared personality traits (if appropriate)
12. When someone compliments your hair or clothes or shoes, thank them and say something like “I love your shoes too!” If it was really well-chosen, maybe even tell them where else they could buy those shoes from!
13. Ask someone a question you haven’t been asked before to get to know them deeper
14. Express something that you’ve been thinking about for a while now, but just never got around to saying it out loud.
15. Ask the person you’re talking to what their favorite music is, then do the same thing with your own favorite music and see if they have any in common with you. (This is a great way to get a conversation started with someone who’s not familiar with your tastes.)
16. If you’re at a party or other event and don’t know anyone, introduce yourself by saying “Hey! I’m going to be here all night! What’s your name?” instead of just smiling at everyone in the room and hoping they’ll say hi back.
17. Be genuine and friendly when introducing yourself to someone new – they’ll appreciate it more than if you try too hard or seem fake.
It will also help them remember your name better if they can see that you’re not just here for an hour or two before moving on elsewhere in the social sphere (which is why it’s important that this introduction lasts as long as possible).
Easy conversation starters over text with a girl or a guy
Here is a list of easy conversation starters through text to ask someone you like:
1. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
2. What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
3. Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
4. If you were a key, what lock would you open?
5. What was your first concert like?
6. Do trees scream when they are being cut?
7. What are some things in life that make you feel alive?
8. If we were to look at your search history, what would be the most recent alarming result we’d find?
9. Describe the perfect day for you day all about YOU!
10. Is there anything about yourself that you’ve never told anyone else before?
11. What is your favorite holiday? Why?
12. What kind of music do you like?
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?
14. Do you have any pets? Tell me about them!
15. Do you have siblings or are you an only child? Tell me about them!
Also read: 250+ Conversation starters for Tinder (With best topics, openers, questions and tips)
Easy conversation starters with your crush or a date
These are some easy conversation starters for your crush or your date (girlfriend or boyfriend)
1. Have you ever met anyone famous or who was important or interesting? Tell me about it!
2. What’s the best present you’ve ever received and why was it so special to you?
3. Have you ever gone/been on a really cool field trip that stood out in your mind as an amazing experience?
4. What’s the funniest joke you know by heart and can tell at any time? Share it with us!
5. What is the best thing your parents ever did for you?
6. Who is your favorite member of the family and why?
7. What do you do when you are angry?
8. What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
9. Who is your hero and why?
10. What makes you happy and why?
11. If you were a teacher, what would you teach and why?
12. What is the best thing about where you live?
13. If you won the lottery what would be the first thing you would do with your winnings?
What is your favorite movie?
14. If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
15. If you could invite anyone to dinner who would it be and why?
Also read: 100+ Romantic conversation starters for all stages of couples who are in a relationship
Simple convo Starters
Here is a list of simple conversation starters:
1. What’s your name?
2. What do you do?
3. How old are you when you first dreamt of meeting your celebrity crush?
4. Where are you from?
5. Do you have any siblings?
6. If someone made a movie of your life, who would play you?
7. Would the movie be a drama, a comedy, a romanticcomedy, action film, or science fiction?
8. If you could live in any city, which would you choose?
9. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
10. What’s your favorite book? And what’s your favorite line from it?
11. What was the last great trip that you took? Where did you go and what was it like?
12. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
13. Who is someone you really respect or admire and why?
14. Which social issue do you feel most passionate about and why?
15. What’s one thing that people misunderstand about you?
Also read: 350+ Conversation starters for couples (teen, married and old couples with deep topics)
Easy Conversation Topics
Easy and meaningful conversations are a great way to engage in a meaningful dialogue with your friends. Here are some topics for a simple conversation that always work.
1. The state of the world
2. Current events
6. Art and literature
7. Science and technology
8. History and geography
9. Psychology and sociology
10. Education and education policy (including public policy)
11. Gender, race, ethnicity and class in relation to social justice movements today (including feminism, civil rights movement, Chicano/a studies, LGBTQIA+ movements)