Unlocking the power of common sense is an essential aspect of navigating our daily lives.
From making simple decisions to solving complex problems, common sense acts as a compass, guiding us through various situations.
In this blog post, let’s explore some common sense test questions with answers and common sense quiz questions with answers that will put your logical reasoning to the test.
Whether you’re a brain teaser or riddles enthusiast, a puzzle lover, or simply curious about challenging your cognitive abilities, this collection of 50 common sense questions, along with their answers, will entertain and enlighten you.
So, let’s embark on a journey to explore the depths of common sense and sharpen our thinking skills together.
50 Common sense test questions
The following is a list of Common sense questions test with answers:
1. If a pizza is divided into 8 equal slices and you eat 3 slices, what fraction of the pizza remains?
2. What is the only mammal that cannot jump?
Answer: The elephant.
3. What three positive numbers give the same answer when multiplied and added together?
Answer: 1, 2, 3
4. What is the next letter in this sequence: O, T, T, F, F, S, S, E, __?
Answer: N (the sequence stands for the first letters of the numbers: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine).
5. How many teeth does a typical adult have?
Answer: A typical adult has 32 teeth, including 8 incisors, 4 canines, 8 premolars, and 12 molars (including 4 wisdom teeth).
6. If your aunt’s sister is not your mother, then what relation is she to you?
Answer: Your aunt
7. What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?
Answer: A stamp
8. What gets bigger the more you take away from it?
Answer: A hole
9. Jack has a sister whose daughter has a brother. What relation is Jack to the brother?
10. What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years?
Answer: The letter “M”
11. I am an odd number. Take away a letter and I become even. What number am I?
Answer: Seven (remove the “s” and it becomes “even”)
12. What is the formula to calculate force?
Answer: Force (F) equals mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a), so the formula is F = m × a.
13. What is the process by which plants release water vapor into the atmosphere?
14. What is the correct plural form of the word “radius”?
Answer: The correct plural form is “radii.”
15. Correct the following sentence: “Me and my friend went to the movies.”
Answer: “My friend and I went to the movies.”
16. If it takes 5 minutes to boil an egg, how long would it take to boil two eggs?
Answer: Boiling two eggs would still take approximately 5 minutes. The cooking time for boiling eggs is usually not dependent on the number of eggs being boiled, as long as they are in the same pot and submerged in the same boiling water.
17. How many months have 28 days?
Answer: All months have at least 28 days.
Best common sense test questions with answers
Here are some of the best common sense test questions with answers:
18. How many golf balls would fit in a Boeing 747?
Answer: Similar to the school bus question, you can estimate the volume of the plane’s cargo hold and the volume of a golf ball. By dividing the cargo hold volume by the golf ball volume, you can estimate the number of golf balls that would fit.
19. How would you weigh an elephant without using a scale?
Answer: One possible approach is to use displacement. Place the elephant in a large tank of water and measure the amount of water it displaces. By using the principle of Archimedes’ buoyancy, you can calculate the weight of the elephant based on the volume of water displaced.
20. A car travels at a speed of 60 miles per hour. How far will it travel in 2.5 hours?
Answer: 150 miles (60 mph × 2.5 hours = 150 miles).
Also read: 50 Common sense trivia questions and answers
21. If a box contains 36 marbles and you take out 3 marbles at random without replacement, what is the probability that all 3 marbles are red if there are 8 red marbles and 28 blue marbles?
Answer: 56/1190 or approximately 0.047 (8/36 × 7/35 × 6/34 = 56/1190).
22. How many keys are on a standard piano?
Answer: A standard piano usually has 88 keys. These keys include both white keys (natural keys) and black keys (sharps and flats) arranged in a repeating pattern.
23. How many seconds are there in a year?
Answer: There are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, and 24 hours in a day. Multiply these together (60 x 60 x 24) and then multiply by the number of days in a year (usually 365 or 366 for a leap year), and you’ll get the approximate number of seconds in a year.
24. How many times can you fold a regular piece of paper in half?
Answer: The number of times you can fold a regular piece of paper in half depends on its size and thickness. However, in practice, it becomes increasingly difficult to fold it perfectly in half after about 7-8 folds.
25. How long would it take to walk around the world?
Answer: Walking around the world is a daunting task due to the vast distances involved. Assuming an average walking speed of 3 miles per hour and no breaks, it would take roughly 20,000 miles divided by 3 miles per hour, which is approximately 6,667 hours or 277 days.
26. If a shirt originally costs $80 and is discounted by 25%, what is the final sale price?
Answer: $60 (80 – 25% of 80 = 80 – 20 = $60).
27. The sum of two numbers is 45, and their difference is 15. What are the two numbers?
Answer: The numbers are 30 and 15 (let x be one number and y be the other number; x + y = 45 and x – y = 15, solving these equations gives x = 30 and y = 15).
28. If a company’s revenue is $500,000 and its expenses are $350,000, what is the company’s profit margin as a percentage?
Answer: 30% (Profit Margin = (Revenue – Expenses) / Revenue × 100 = (500,000 – 350,000) / 500,000 × 100 = 30%).
29. How many diagonals does a hexagon have?
Answer: 9 (A hexagon has 6 sides, and each vertex can be connected to 3 other vertices with diagonals. Therefore, 6 × 3 / 2 = 9 diagonals).
30. If a tank can hold 150 liters of water and it is currently filled to 60% of its capacity, how many liters of water are in the tank?
Answer: 90 liters (150 liters × 60% = 90 liters).
31. If a toy train completes a round trip from Point A to Point B and back to Point A in 2 hours, and the distance between Point A and Point B is 120 miles, what is the average speed of the train?
Answer: 60 miles per hour (total distance traveled divided by the time taken: 120 miles / 2 hours = 60 miles per hour).
32. If the price of an item is increased by 20% and then decreased by 20%, is the final price higher or lower than the original price?
Answer: The final price is lower than the original price. (Let the original price be $100. After a 20% increase, the price becomes $120. After a 20% decrease on $120, the price becomes $96, which is lower than the original $100).
33. Which number is the odd one out in the following sequence? 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 20.
Answer: The number 20 is the odd one out because it is the only number that is not divisible by 3.
Common sense quiz questions
The following are some of the most Common sense multiple choice questions with answers:
34. Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?
c) Both weigh the same
d) Cannot be determined
Answer: c) Both weigh the same
35. How many outs are there in an inning of baseball?
d) It varies
Answer: c) 9
36. A farmer has 10 chickens, and all but 5 die. How many chickens does the farmer have left?
Answer: a) 5
37. A plane crashes on the border of the United States and Canada. Where do they bury the survivors?
a) United States
c) They don’t bury survivors
d) None of the above
Answer: c) They don’t bury survivors
38. How many sides does a circle have?
Answer: c) 2 (inside and outside)
39. You are in a race and you overtake the person in 2nd place. Which position are you in now?
d) It depends on how many people are in the race
Answer: b) 2nd
40. Before Mount Everest was discovered, which was the highest mountain in the world?
c) Mount Everest
d) None of the above
Answer: c) Mount Everest
41. How many months have 28 days?
d) All months have 28 days
Answer: c) 12
42. If you have only one match and enter a dark room containing an oil lamp, a newspaper, and some kindling wood, which do you light first?
b) Oil lamp
d) Kindling wood
Answer: a) Match
43. Which word in the dictionary is spelled incorrectly?
44. I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?
a) A ghost
b) A radio
c) A telephone
d) An echo
Answer: d) An echo
45. How far can a dog run into the woods?
b) Until it gets tired
c) Until it finds a tree
d) All the way to the end
Answer: a) Halfway. After that, it would be running out of the woods.
46. I have cities but no houses, forests but no trees, and rivers but no water. What am I?
a) A map
b) A dream
c) A book
d) A country
Answer: a) A map
47. If there are 12 fish in a pond and half of them drown, how many fish are left?
D) It’s not possible for fish to drown.
Answer: D) It’s not possible for fish to drown.
48. How many letters are in the alphabet?
Answer: C) 11 (“t-h-e-a-l-p-h-a-b-e-t”)
49. What should you do if you’re feeling tired while driving?
a) Close your eyes for a few seconds to rest
b) Keep driving and hope you’ll feel better
c) Pull over to a safe location and take a nap
d) Speed up to reach your destination faster
Answer: c) Pull over to a safe location and take a nap
50. How many times can you subtract 10 from 100?
Answer: c) 1
In conclusion, engaging in common sense test questions can be both entertaining and educational, helping us sharpen our logical thinking skills and navigate the world with greater confidence and clarity.